Wednesday, October 16, 2013

story by Hannah

Skylight
by: Hannah Little
 
I was getting dressed in my room, putting on my jeans and cowgirl boots and my new horse shirt with a filly that was a mix of black and gray and white. I was getting ready to go to the stables to feed and groom a horse. Her name is Rainbow. In our stables we have 14 horse: Lime Pie, Judie, Artemis, Goose Planet Pinkie, Nancy Drew, Lupica Hawk, Legend, Rainbow, Dust Bud, Cleo, Blackout, and Peppermint. Nancy Drew is the oldest horse in our stables, 17 years old! Goose is the youngest, 1 year old. Rainbow is 3. Once I got out there, I was glad I went out there! She was a mudball! First I put a rope on the bridle so I could bring her outside to hose her down. I hooked her up to a stall door outside and got the hose and sprayed her whole body, after that was done I put the soap all over her and then she shaked. I started to laugh "I guess I should've worn my swimsuit"! I said. I rinsed the little bot of soap that was left off. I scrubbed and scrubbed her mane and tail so there were no knots.
 
Once I was done scrubbing, I brought her to the "Sparkle Room". The Sparkle Room is a room with all the fun and fancy accessories for the horses. I put lots of silver and pink glitter on her tail and mane. Then I put her mane into a braid and her tail into a fishtail braid. I put the zebra stripe footies on. Rainbow looked FANTASTIC! "Piper" yelled Eben.  Eben is my neighbor, he lives right next door. He is only 4, and I'm 8.  Since we live in the country, we only have a few neighbors; Eben and his older sister Tess who's 8 also (she's my best friend).  Then there's Leo who's 12, he's my older brothers best friend. Oh yah I forgot to mention that I have an older brother and a younger brother.  Dylan is my older brother and Kiy is my younger brother. Kiy is 3 and Dylan is 12. Ok I need to see what Eben wants!
 
"I'm coming Eben"! When I finally found Eben he was....I don't really know what he was doing." Eben what are you doing"? I's so excited because um... I forgot, oh ya oh wait um oh yay, were getting 12 more horses! "But you already have 12"! "Oh sorry I forgot were only getting 2"! Eben are Kiy are best friends. "Well that's cool, but Eben I think you should go inside its getting dark out". "Ok, Piper see you in the morning". Woot woot woot, ahh but I don't want to get up, its only 9:00 AM. I got up and went outside to check in the horses and I heard someone crying.  I looked to the left, yet it was Eben. "Eben now what"? I said softly. "My, my my grandma died"! I'm so sorry, wait Eben are you talking about your stuffed animal "Grandma" monkey? "Yes, what did you think I was talking about"? "Well how'd Grandma die"? I said unsure. Tess ripped "grandma" in half he said madly. Are you sure?  No, I think I did it. "Ok well, bye Eben see you later"!
 
Ok now lets see how the horses are doing. Lime pie, check. Pinkie, check. Nancy Drew, check. Lupica, check. Hawk, check. Legend, exercising. Rainbow, getting ready for show. Dustbud, check. Cleo, getting ready for show. Blackout, exercising. Peppermint, getting ready for show. Skylight, check. Wait what? I'd never seen a horse named Skylight? Oh here's a note. It read; Dear Piper, I know you always wanted your OWN horse. There was a breeder who couldn't afford to keep this horse so I called him up and said I would take it. I met him this morning. I hope you like him, he's all yours so take good care. If you don't like the name Skylight do ahead and change it. Love, Dad "Yay, woohoo I have my very own horse"! I said very excitedly. Lets see how you ride, Skylight. I went into the tack room and got a saddle, a bridle, and reins. I came back out and put everything on and ready. I brought her outside, then got on. "Ok now, Skylight GIDDY UP"! Wow Skylight is the fastest horse I'VE EVER ridden on! When I was done riding her in the fields, I decided to take her to a practice racing ring, the only reason I could, was because its in my backyard. I got Skylight in a slot I was ready. I almost pushed the button to open the gate but I heard someone say "STOP"! I looked to see who said that and sure enough it was Eben. He was on a horse with Tess. You guys got your horses I guessing. I said yah this one is Corral and the one at home is Penny. Is it ok if we race you? Tess said excitedly. "Um....I guess". I said unsurely. "READY SET GO"! C'mon Skylight giddy up"! It took 2 min and we were done. Wow Skylight is a awesome racing horse! I took her back to the stables so she could rest. Then all of a sudden I heard a BOOM BOOM sound I turned around and I saw a huge storm starting. First thing I needed to do was make sure all 15 horses were in the stables. "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15.  All here". I said happily! The next thing I needed to do was give all 15 horses a treat and a special lunch. I'd need help with that, so I went into the office that was in the stables and called our home phone number. (pretty much, because I didn't want to walk outside). It rang then someone answered. "Hello, is this Piper"? said Dylan. "yes, could you guys come outside and help me with the horses"? I said very nicely. I was already planning on it, piper. He said. Great thanks! Dylan, Kiy, mom and dad were there in under a minute. I already did count and every horse is here. I need your help to do the treat and special lunch. Yay, I will make LUNCH said Kiy. Kiy we're all making lunch. "Well fine if we have to" said Kiy. After we fed the horses we could go back inside. We locked the stable doors and started our way to the house, when we heard a very loud crash we all looked back.

Oh no when we looked back we saw a light post and telephone wires in the stable. Noooooo give me the key, please please. I yelled. Dad gave me the key and I opened the door and went straight in. When I got in I screamed. There was a HUGE fire starting. Everybody rushed in. They saw what I did. Dylan went inside and called the fire department. They were here in less than 5 min. They gaveit their all but the fire didn't blow out. I mean, its also raining! I forgot to mention I have a neighbor like a minute away and her name is October. I can't believe I forgot to mention. Well anyways she came over and helped with the fire. She was a BIG help! And she's even writing a story called "October Falls". Oh, no this can't be happening. I said to myself. Some of the horse were dying. By the time the fire was settling down 11 of our horses had died. I was rally freaking out because I didn't know which ones had died, but I could see at least 4 in there. We needed to get them out NOW! Now that fire was completely over. I went in the stable like a squiral I was so fast. "Noooooo"! I yelled till I couldn't breath anymore. Skylight was not in the stables. I started crying and could not stop.  The only horses that were left were Blackout, Legend, Goose and Peppermint. I went inside to calm down so I went into my room and watched some TV.

Next thing I knew I was calling October. "Hello"? I said. "Hi October". "Hi Piper". I asked her about coming over to ride and she said yes. Right before I hung up Kiy asked if Libby could come over. So I asked October if Libby could and she said yes. About 15 min later they arrived. Kiy and Libby were already playing. I had saddled up the horses well you know, 2 of them for us. Of course I got on Blackout and October got on Legend. We started heading for the trail. We were about 4 miles when I saw a horse galloping in the pasture right beside us. I had toatly forgot October and made Blackout jump the fence that was making the trail and headed for the horse. It took about 5 min. and I was there. It looked like Skylight. I went to the front of horse because Skylight had a heart shaped spot on her nose. When I looked their was a heart shaped spot. OH MY GOSH! I yelled so loud it kind of frightened Blackout. October came right then. All she said was "what's going on"? "what's going on is that SKYLIGHT"? I started balling, I was so happy. I asked October if she could go get a rope. But instead she went home. 20 min later of course I just had to take my chances and sprint to get a rope. I came back and she was still there. I got the rope and led her to the beginning of the trail also with Blackout. We had to get every single horse and put them in the trailer to take to Maryanne's Stables because with the fire we didn't have anywhere to put them. When we got to Maryanne's we led the horses to the table spot. We went home and called the construction people. They started working on the stable. It was done a month later. We got the horses back and in the stable. Now I've just been enjoying the weather with Sunlight. It was a miracle.
 
THE END
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. What a great story! So proud of your creative juices, Pokeadot! Very clever names for all the horses! Can tell you have been reading up on horses, for your terminology was spot on! Keep up the great work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! such talent and a long story for a 4th grader! amazing!

    ReplyDelete